Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Conf call Matt, Angie 1.27.06

1. HANDWASHING -- Matt has prepared a storyboard and I need to finish
reviewing it, so far it looks fantastic. I can safely say that most of my
suggestions will be minor editing. I will also have Richard Qi, a native
Chinese speaker who is working with me, review it for cultural
appropriateness.

2. KITCHEN ROLLOVER -- Done! Ready for translation. We need to establish
a procedure for sending things to Danyun for translation and getting them
back to NMSU for mounting on the Web site.

3. MEET THE BACTERIA -- Matt has done an excellent job! He has made a
very dry subject fun. We are in the final stages on this one.

4. ACCEPT OR REJECT -- The purpose is to help the student understand when
to accept or reject a food shipment -- they need this information to
perform well on the certification exam. For example, if their supplier
delivers dented cans of food, they should not accept it. However, it
happens all of the time. Therefore, I would like to show at least one
food with a description of its condition (because it might not be obvious
from a photo or illustration) from each of the following groups: Meat,
poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, dairy, produce, refrigerated processed
food, frozen processed food, vacuum-packed food, canned food, dry food,
aseptically packaged food, and baked goods. I will give culturally
appropriate examples for each category. Could this be set up like a
running slide show? Any ideas for how to present would be welcome.

5. COOKED RICE -- We need to demonstrate that bacteria can grow in cooked
rice that is not maintained at 135F or hotter. A common problem in
Chinese restaurants is cooking the rice, turning off the cooker, and
reheating before service. Some operators state that keeping it hot makes
it dry and so it is not tasty. They believe that reheating, such as
during stir frying, will make it safe. They need to understand that
reheating only kills bacteria not toxins. Toxins will form while the rice
is at unsafe temperatures.

6. DISHWASHING ACTIVITY -- A common problem in Chinese restaurants, as
well as in all restaurants, is the failure to properly prepare a
three-compartment sink for dishwashing. The key is to demonstrate that
they must wash in soapy water that is at least 110F. Immerse or spray
rinse in water that is at least 110F, and sanitize in a properly prepared
sanitizing solution. Would it be possible to show different
three-compartment set-ups and have the student determine if it is correct?

Finally, it would be great to have at the end of each activity a set of 5
or more questions to test the student's retention of the information
presented in the activity. Many of the students in food safety trainings
have not taken a test in a long time and so need practice answering test
questions. I have had students who I know know the material but still
fail. I believe part of the problem is they do not know how to take
tests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home